Saturday, 14 January 2017

⊱✿⊰ REVIEW ⊱✿⊰ ARC ⊱✿⊰ The Tattered Gloves by J.L. BERG

Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      
TITLE: The Tattered Gloves
AUTHOR: J.L.Berg
GENRE: YA | Contemporary Romance
RELEASE DATE: January 24th, 2017


Head down.
Don’t look up. 
Never make eye contact.

Those were the words I lived by growing up, the words that protected me in an unsafe home. But words are only letters and eventually even they couldn’t keep his hands off me. 

Hoping to leave behind the shattered life of my past, I find myself in a boring, small town, with an aunt I’ve never met and at a school I loathe. 

But soon I learn, not everything in this world is as black and white as I’ve determined. Sometimes those we are so quick to judge often need a second, third or even fourth time to make a first impression. 

And often, there are friendships and even love waiting just around the corner, if we are brave enough to take the first step. 

Am I brave? 

Or will I hide behind these tattered gloves of mine forever?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is my first read by this author, usually I tend to not read much of the YA genre but something about this book called to me and I’m glad I took the chance on this book.



This is spoken in sixteen year old Willow Fairchild’s own words, a neglected young teen, a mother with a revolving door of men coming in and out of their apartment all hours of the day and night. 

A mantra Willow has had drilled into her head since birth is what sees her through most days

Head down
Don’t look up
Never make eye contact
These were the words I lived by growing up 


After a traumatic incident at home we’re introduced to Willow as she’s on a bus heading to ‘Sugar Tree, Virginia, a country town she’d never been to before, to live with her mother’s twin sister Addington, an aunt she’d never known existed. Both thrown together through blood.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic I’d grown up in the slums of Washington, DC, and I had the scars to prove it 

Willow doesn't trust anyone, through her traumatic experience she endured the only thing that offered her any form of comfort was a pair of knitted gloves, her one saving grace that protected her from the horrors of the world, these never left her hands, the gloves, my armor, keep me at a safe distance from everyone skin on skin, touching another scared her too much. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cherish your memories, the good, the bad, and everything in between. 

She's hoping she can remain invisible in this small town Head down, Don’t look up, Never make eye contact but one thing she didn't count on was her Aunt who had the ability to chip at her walls she'd built up around herself, to two teens Sam and Allison who took her under their wings. 

These three became vital to Willow's wellbeing. Slowly she started blossoming, and in the end shredding the one thing that was holding her back 'The tattered gloves' They also became her escape system, because they stopped her for so long of allowing people that cared about her to show her in touch. 

I loved these secondary characters, they knew just the right things to say to Willow, when to push with the right questions and when to ease off. Slowly she allowed them to see the real Willow without inhibitions. The author set the pace perfectly in this book, the abuse, the sexual abuse Willow endured was handled sensitively and was just slightly glossed over and not gone into vivid detail. The only thing I felt the book was missing, was life before Sugar Tree, Virginia, I would've loved to have read more in depth of her time endured in the household with her mother.

On Instagram

© Kitty Kats Crazy About Books . Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.