Monday, 27 March 2017

⊱✿⊰ ALICIA'S REVIEW ⊱✿⊰ Empathy (Empathy #1) by Ker Dukey

Empathy (Empathy #1) by Ker Dukey 

TITLE: Empathy
SERIES: (Empathy #1)
GENRE: Dark | Romance
AUTHOR: Ker Dukey 
RELEASE DATE: April 27th, 2014
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Blake:
I am a brother
I am a police detective
I am a contract killer
I don’t want to love
I don’t want to feel
I don’t want … EMPATHY. 

They say some people are born with decreased activity in the front central lobe causing them a deficiency in empathy. Maybe that’s true about me but whether I was born this way or created in a moment of evil, empathy was something I didn’t possess until her green eyes met mine in the mirror and I couldn’t take her life. 

I didn’t want to feel, didn’t want this woman in my life complicating how I lived but she was there at every turn. Sent to haunt me for my sins. Her light so bright she provoked a shadow from everyone she touched. When a job turns bad quickly altering my life forever I’m forced to feel. When nothing is making sense I’m forced to face truths I never would recover from. When life drowns you in its cruelty you don’t know which way the current will drag you or who you’ll become once you re-surface. 

Melody:
I was a daughter 
I was a student
I was a victim
Did I have his love? 
Did I make him feel?
Did I have his empathy?
When the actions of a soulless killer forces sorrow into my veins I never dreamed the man healing my wounds would be the one to leave the worst scar. His love would scar my soul. Scars are permanent; I will never feel the relief from them. Will I learn to live with them, remember why I have them and learn never to let him close enough to inflict more? Will I eventually cover them… like tattoos coating them with new memories, new love and new starts? I didn’t know these answers because the pain was too suffocating, the only thing I knew was they will always be under the surface lingering. He had scars too, from his sins. There is nothing that can cover them, they were too deep, too ugly, too dark and they marked us both forever.

Warning: This book will mess with your mind. It is a very dark, sexy, twisted romance novel. 18+ only.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic


4.5 Cereus Stars

 photo cereious_zpscjywgfgn.jpg
They say some people are born with decreased activity in the brain; a cold spot in the front central lobe. Where most people have activity, a hot area giving them feelings, emotions and enabling them to love, there are a rare few who have a cold spot, affecting their ability to feel emotions, empathy.

Blake is positive he is born with a dark space in his brain where his meant to hold his emotions. There is only one person he cares about and that's his younger brother Ryan.

Melody is called home from college for a 'family' meeting only to find everyones worst nightmare.
Venturing further into the house, the blood from my palm trickles, leaking down my fingers leaving a dripping path like the breadcrumbs trail from Hansel and Gretel, only this trial leads further into a nightmare, fitting that it be blood.

 photo blooddrip_zpsxczrftid.gif

What she doesn't know is who is behind the horrific mess or that she already knows them.

From the start of the book you can tell Ryan is a VERY dark person, granted he has reasons to have issues but it goes far beyond that. So it was interesting that through the book you see Ryan become more depraved and psychotic as the story progresses. The opposite happens with Blake who goes from evil callous killer to someone who actually cares. Melody is slowly breaking through his 'dark' but he has no idea how to cope with all these new feelings.

All the while poor Melody is trying to just live and come to terms with the fact she didn't die and find a way to move forward.

So within this story filled with horrific acts and very morbid thoughts, there is three separate journeys going on which made it so much better. One thing for sure was the heat between Blake and Melody is undeniable and some of their scenes are super hot.

 photo blakeandmelkiss_zpsskmrf6wl.gif

This is a 'dark' read with both graphic violence and mentally disturbed people, so if you're thinking of reading it don't say I didn't warn you.

What a fantastically twisted ending that kind of slaps you in the face and left me thinking 'wow, didn't see that coming'. It is not a cliffhanger but leaves you intrigued enough to want to read more.
 photo iceheart_zpskz7tdutz.jpg

Image and video hosting by TinyPic